Wednesday, June 1, 2016

The Notebook: Renovation for Real!


So you have decided to go for it.  Now what? 

Start with the inspection report.  Looking over our report and the extensive list of repairs (not including the renovations and improvements we wanted to make), I felt a huge sense of overwhelm.  But wait!  NO!  This is exciting!  But wait!  NO! WHAT HAVE WE JUST DONE?!? Emotions ranged from excitement to overwhelm to panic to deep breathing to ok…. "There is no turning back.  You bought the house….now get busy and do it!”

I started with a notebook and an Excel spreadsheet.  I created a page for each room in the house, and listed every item on the inspection report, as well as the projects, improvements and upgrades we wanted to complete.  I prioritized by number, the order the items needed to be completed.  When we looked at the list, we decided the project would need to be broken down into 5 phases.  Phase 1 items being those that were covered with the renovation loan (“The NEEDS”), then moving down through the list, when we could afford the “WANTS”.

I sectioned off the notebook by room, adding a plastic sleeve for each section to hold paint chips, fabrics, paperwork, etc.  I also printed out inspiration and design pictures from my Pinterest board, and added those to the appropriate sections of the notebook.  Since I carried the notebook with me everywhere I went, I was able to use the photos to help pick out everything from light fixtures to paint to faucets to pillows!  Standing in the middle of the showrooms I visited, again, I was overwhelmed with the vast selections around me.


The notebook was a great place to keep track of item numbers, prices, dates ordered, dates delivered, etc.  I highlighted each task as it was complete, making it easier to see where I needed follow up with our contractor.  The plastic sleeve was a perfect place to keep the receipts in case I needed to refer back to them.  It was also a great place to keep business cards of the vendors I worked with. 


In my next post, we will take a look, week-by-week, how the project actually evolved!

Lovin' Life in the Low Country,

Janie


My mission statement:  To live each day to the fullest, with excitement, enthusiasm and a strong desire to build a successful and highly respected real estate business, earned by developing relationships through consistent and predictably high work ethic of always going above and beyond, and always doing so with a creative surprise up my sleeve.

No comments:

Post a Comment