Monday, January 27, 2014

Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho, It's Off to Work We Go!

Factor Number 5:  Stay fresh and creative.

Toward the end of each year, I start working on my business plan for the upcoming year.  But the last week of December, I fine-tune my goals, and add deadlines.  This year, I created a detailed monthly plan for the entire year.  I established specific goals for each month, but left room to add ideas throughout the year.  Having an on-going list of ideas makes it easier to roll out the new things you want to corporate into your business, especially when you have assigned deadlines to make them happen! Having someone to hold you accountable to achieving these goals is helpful.  I recently hired an assistant, and she makes sure everything on the list gets done, on time----no excuses!

Some of the ideas I use are a year or two in the works before I actually roll them out.  Toward the end of 2012, I decided to add decorative holiday swags to all my “For Sale” signs during the month of December, starting in 2013.  So after plotting the steps and deadlines on my 2013 calendar, in August I was prepared to hire someone to make them for me, and she had them ready by the weekend after Thanksgiving.  Obviously, this was something that required forethought and planning.    Another example is client closing gifts.  For years, I had a plan to complete a tangible gift to give to my clients at closing.  I knew what I wanted to do, I just kept putting off initiating the project.  But after putting it on my January Goal Sheet this year, I am happy to say it is complete, and ready to give to my clients!

My current list energizes and excites me every time I look at it! Along with a monthly focus, it has ideas for all seasons, holidays and a variety of events and activities I want to incorporate and complete throughout the year.  For example, my January plan has a focus on “Resolutions”, which can be expanded into many areas, and was the basis for this series of blog posts.  As I think of something new, I add it to the appropriate month.

Don't get stuck in the ho-hum, day-to-day, mundane tasks of your job.  If you constantly look for and think of ways to make things fresh and fun, your work will take on a totally different energy.  Don't think you have a job that allows for creativity?  Tell that to the young man with Down's Syndrome who was a grocery bagger.  He decided to personalize his service by dropping a cheerful thought  into each bag.  His customers loved it and it transformed the culture of the entire store.

Great ideas create great customer service. Great customer service keeps customers and clients coming back, and referring others to your business!  So what great ideas are you going to incorporate into your business this year?  I promise the more focused you are on thinking “purple” (see my January 22nd  blog post at www.janiepughsellshomes.blogspot.com for more on being “purple”), the more excited you will feel about your career.  Who needs vitamins when you have an awesome business plan to get you motivated every morning!



Follow me on…



 #warnerrobinsga  #365thingstodoinwarnerrobinsga #janiepughsellshomes #goldenkeyrealty

No comments:

Post a Comment