Friday, January 24, 2014

"I Got the Power"


Janie Pugh and Claire Green of Golden Key Realty
learning about 2014 GAR contract updates
Factor #4- Attend Continuing Ed Classes----And Not Just Because You HAVE To!

Knowledge is power, and when educational opportunities are maximized, you can turn your power into passion.  What results from this combination of power and passion is a high likelihood of success in your business!  In professions that require a license, there are a certain number of continuing education credits that are required to maintain the license.  Classes are offered at various times of the year, for various prices, on various topics and in various venues.  Classes may be offered in your local area, in-state, out of state, at dinner meetings, annual meetings, conventions and conferences, through satellite broadcasts, classroom settings with a live-instructor, on-line......the list is endless. Bottom line: You can get classes everywhere, so you have no excuse when it comes time to renew your license and you are running short on credit hours.  But what has me shaking my head with confusion is: Why would you go to classes just because it is required to maintain your license?  Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!

I love education. I love to learn and I am always looking for a new class to pick up some new ideas, techniques or concepts.  With technology changing at such a rapid pace, I try to attend technology classes as often as possible, taking copious notes and hanging on to every word. Technology is here to stay, and will be a continuous evolution, both professionally and personally. Those that don't stay on top of techno-changes are unfortunately going to be left behind. So now is the time to learn how to use it to your advantage!

You may not be required to have continuing education in your industry.  But it is easier to rise to the top of your profession if you attend industry-related classes, and attend them often, whether they are for educational credit or not.  Take what you learn, and practice what they teach!  Don't waste your time attending classes if you have no intention of taking what you learned and putting it to work.  If the only reason you are attending a class is because you need  the credit to maintain a license, then you are doing it for the wrong reason. Go to the classes to gain power and passion for your work!  Would you go to a doctor that only took classes that were required?  Or would you rather go to the one that stayed on top of the latest medical advances and technology? Would you rather go to someone that just does what they have to do to get by, or would you rather go to someone that is passionate about what they do, and eager to learn how to do it even better so they can be better service providers for their clients?

Being an education fanatic, I attend every class I can fit into my schedule.  And by the way,  I will proudly admit: I am the dork that likes to sit at the front of the room!  But, this is where I can best see, hear and interact with everything the instructor has to offer. I have gotten some real pearls in the classes I have attended over the years.  By incorporating the ideas into my business, it has grown exponentially, is constantly evolving and is a creative outlet that keeps my career fresh and exciting! Keep in mind, it is important not only to attend classes, but to pay close attention, takes notes and start a preliminary "Plan of Action" to fine-tune and finish when you get back to the office.  But above all, implement that "Plan"!  Anyone can sit through hundreds of thousands of hours of instruction, but if you never implement anything you learn, why bother?

Not only are continuing ed classes a learning opportunity, they are a chance to network amongst your peers and to develop relationships with professionals that may become future mentors. One of the most career-changing classes I have ever taken was a technology class (which was the first of many) I took a couple years ago taught by Juanita McDowell, Lead TEACHnology Trainer at InMotion Real Estate Institute.  She literally planted the seeds that changed the climate of my career, and for that, I will be forever grateful to her. She is always available to be a great sounding board for ideas, an expert in technology questions that are well beyond my scope of knowledge, and to be on the sidelines cheering for my success.  If I hadn't attended her class that was "voluntary", I would have never met this amazing mentor and friend!  Find someone in your field that you admire and respect, and whose teaching style you enjoy.  Be sure to find someone that has the spark you need to light your fire to get pumped and passionate about your career!


 Now......get to class!

Follow me on…



 #warnerrobinsga  #365thingstodoinwarnerrobinsga #janiepughsellshomes #goldenkeyrealty
 



No comments:

Post a Comment